Thursday, October 07, 2004

TIVO Revolution

M just surprised me on Tuesday by getting me a Tivo for my bday.  Hooked it up last night...this thing is sweet!  I was playing around with the LIVE features such as rewinding, pausing, slow mo, forwarding back to real time...love it.  I don't think I'll ever watch tv the same, especially with sports and being able to rewind for replays.  I didn't get to play around with the recording yet because it had to load my data for initial setup, but I tested a recording on Seinfeld and caught part of it this morning.  It was perfect, started recording 2 seconds before the show actually started and the quality is about 95% as good as watching it live.  Once i get a high speed internet connection, I can hook it up and schedule my recordings on the web.  For now, I have to unfortunately run a long phone cord from my kitchen to my living room which is a pain cuz I don't have any phone jacks near my tv.  Tivo says it doesn't have to remain constantly connected and that I can just connect it a couple times a week to download all the new data so that'll have to do for now.  Sounds like w/ only a dial-up connection, recording schedules can't be done on the web.  I'm still learnin the tricks of Tivo, but so far I love it.  My only complaint is the bubble-like sound everytime I push the remote, but I think it's a setting I can turn off.  I also think it's ridiculous they charge 13/month so you can record a show that you already have, but I guess there is a lot of work in Tivo's end that we're paying for as well.  I can't justify spending $300 for the lifetime subscription, even though it'll only be 23 months til it's paid off.  However, who knows if I'll still have this TIVO unit in two years.  What if there's something better by then?  Not sure what to do yet. 


7 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Happy Bday Ant boy!. How old are you now, 23?
I wanted a Tivo before also so I can tape my reality shows and watch it commercials free but I'm still waiting for the price to come down. Did M get a good deal? I didn't know that you can use phone/lan line on Tivo.
I didn't like the monthly service fee either and besides, I'm trying to watch less TV because it's so addicting.
Does Tivo has any competition? Do they also charge service fee?

9:47 AM  
Blogger Bullseye said...

It's time to bring your Tivo over to my house. I'll upgrade it for you so that you can record 120 hrs!

It sounds like you got the 'stand alone' tivo. That's actually more expensive than the DirecTv Tivo. They sell the DirecTv Tivo for around $50. It's 100% better because it has 2 tuners so that you can record one show and watch another show at the same time. The quality of the shows are also 100% just as good because DirecTv is digital. The only down side is you have to subscribe to DirecTv. The Tivo subscription is $5 for DirecTv but it's only $5 if you have one Tivo or multiple Tivo's in your house. We now have 3 Tivo's at home and we can't watch TV without it.

If it's not too late, I would recommend returning your Tivo and signing up for DirecTv. It's a big decision and it was scary when I switched but I'm never going back to cable again! The price is cheaper and you get better quality.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Tivo is only 50 bucks now, wow. I thought it was in the $300 range. I have direct TV at home. I might think about it if it's only $5/month subscription. Must convince hubby

1:39 PM  
Blogger Bullseye said...

Direct Tivo is $50. The stand alone Tivo is still very expensive. The reason why it's cheaper is because you must have Directv in order to use it.

Oh, BTW: you don't need to subscribe to the Tivo service if you have the stand alone tivo. You can use it as a 'regular' VCR. You just have to manually program when you want it to record things. You can still pause/fast forward and stuff like that. The Directv version is still far superior though.

3:56 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Why would be the benefit of getting the stand alone if I have direct TV?

8:26 AM  
Blogger Bullseye said...

The benefit is that you can switch back to cable and still use the Tivo. I didn't know that you have DirecTv.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

I've had direct TV for over a year now and the quality is better than cable. Remind me to talk to you more about Tivo when you visit. :)

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home