Surround Sound System
Just purchased a Pioneer, 660 Watt, 6.1, Surround Sounds System, w/ DVD player this weekend at Costco. Whole thing was $499. I'm in trial period right now...not sure if I'm going to keep it or not. The system is good...got a decent price. Just the dvd player is about $150 so that means I got the 6.1 Pioneer surround sound system for $350. However, I'm not quite sure if the front and center speakers do it for me. During movies, explosions and all the low frequency sounds are great. Subwoofer definitely does its job, but the small 2 front and 1 center speakers don't put out the high frequency sounds as bold as I'd like. I think I'm going to have to, one day, replace both the front left and right speakers and the center to make me completely happy. My view is that if I am going to replace 3 of the 7 speakers, I should just return the whole package and get the pieces one by one. However, I'm thinking of the costs of getting them one by one, and it's not much cheaper. The same receiver, by itself, is $250. A decent sub is around $100. Right there is already 350 w/out any surrounding speakers. Bullseye, any deals at Fry's right now or any of the bay area stores on surround sound systems?
Also, after 13 months of living at my house, I finally got a garage door opener. M and I have been parking on the driveway since we've moved in last year, and one of us will finally have a garage. Bad part is I have to install it tonight, probably won't be much fun, especially since I don't have a ladder. I hope my neighbor has one.
On that note...Thanks Costco for bleeding me dry.

3 Comments:
I can't believe you live without a garage opener for over 1 year. We paid Sears handyman to install it so I don't know how easy or difficult the job is.
yes, we are poor and wanted to spend money on our backyard first before the garage opener.
installation is not easy, but very doable. takes some time, but nothing too complicated. I just need to go buy a drill.
The DVD player is way too expensive. You can get a pretty good one for $100 now. I don't know the Pioneer but the surround sound system has to match the size of your room. If it's a small room then your system doesn't have to be that powerful. It sounds like you like most of the components. I suggest that you keep them and then upgrade the ones that you don't like. It's really expensive to buy one part at a time and sometimes they don't play well with each other also. A friend of mine has a DVD which helps you tune the surround sound system so that it matches your room. Maybe you should try that and see if the center channel sound better.
You also have to see the quality of the DVD. Sometimes the DVD's 'action' scenes are much louder than the 'dialog' scenes. Lots of variables to look at so you have to start isolating them one by one. The good news is that it's fun to do and you'll get to learn more about your equipment. I like that method better than paying "TONS" of money to have someone set it up for you, like how Bestman did it. You can probably get better quality sound for 1/4 the price. Once you have everything configured we'll go shopping for a universal remote. They are all moving towards RF now so that you too can hide all the equipment in the closet. You don't need line of sight and the remotes are not 'that' expensive. Technology is so fun!
Post a Comment
<< Home